Chilli Con Carne
Serves 4, 356 calories per serve
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 640g lean beef mince
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 800g tin tomatoes
- 1 cup salt reduced beef stock
- ½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
Tomato Salad to Serve:
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Increase the heat, add the beef mince and stir until well coloured.
- Add the garlic, capsicum, oregano and spices and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant, then add the tinned tomatoes, stock and coriander. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- To prepare the tomato salad combine the tomato, onion, lemon juice and coriander.
- Divide meat among serving bowls and top with the tomato salad.