Eggplant Cannelloni with Spinach & Roasted Tomato
Serves 5 | 240 calories per serve
- Olive oil spray
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into
- 8 lengthwise
- 10 roma tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 600g low-fat fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, i.e. basil, oregano, parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Halve tomatoes lengthwise, remove and discard seeds. Place cut side down on one baking tray with the onion and garlic. Spray with olive oil, season.
- Place the eggplant slices on the second baking tray, overlapping slightly to fit. Spray lightly with oil.
- Place both trays in the oven; roast until eggplant is soft and tomatoes puff and start to brown – about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend spinach, ricotta and herbs; set aside.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Pull the skin off the tomatoes and discard. Place the tomatoes, onion, garlic and any juices into the food processor and process until a chunky sauce forms.
- Spoon 1 cup of tomato sauce into a baking dish, place ½ cup spinach-ricotta mixture on one eggplant slice; roll up from small end, and place seam side down in baking pan.
- Repeat with remaining slices, using all of the filling.
- Top eggplant rolls with the prepared tomato sauce and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad