Healthy Hot Cross Buns
Serves 8, 260 calories per serve
For the buns:
- 275g spelt flour
- 3 tbsp Tony Ferguson RAPID Shake (vanilla flavour recommended)
- 2 tbsp vanillin sugar
- 7g sachet yeast
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped apricots
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
For the crosses:
- 40g spelt flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanillin sugar
- 4 tbsp boiled water
- 2 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 tsp vanillin sugar
- Combine flour, protein powder, yeast, salt and spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg with melted coconut oil and milk
- Add the egg mixture to the bowl with flour and slowly mix in
- Fold in the apricots and sultanas until it becomes a dough.
- Place in a well-oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour until it has risen.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and then cut into 8 equal balls.
- Place 8 buns on a lined baking tray and leave to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan) while you make the crosses.
- To make the white crosses, mix the milk, flour and sugar together to form a dough. Roll these into long thin rolls.
- Make up the sugared water and once the buns have risen for 20 minutes, brush a little over the top of each and place the sausages in a cross to form a hot cross bun pattern
- Place buns in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden. You can brush them over with sugared water again after taking them out of the oven.