Discover how to set and achieve realistic weight loss goals
Well, it’s that time of the year again when our well-intended new year resolutions dwindle. If you’re feeling this way about your weight loss goals, you’re not alone. When looking at ways to lose weight and keep it off, it is important to set realistic goals that you can work towards gradually all year round.
How to set and plan weight loss goals
Losing weight isn’t easy. It takes time and dietary changes need to be maintained. While following a low calorie diet, you may feel hungrier and more lethargic during the day making it harder for you to stick to your diet plan and physical exercise regime. After working hard to follow the weight loss plan, you then hope to see results, which motivates you to continue to work towards achieving your weight loss goals. But what if you aren’t seeing the results you hoped for? This can be quite disappointing.
5 tips to achieving your weight loss goals
Let your weight loss goals be realistic, achievable, inexpensive and not involve restrictive regimes that become so hard to follow that you give up and want to go back to your old ways. A comprehensive weight loss program such as the Tony Ferguson 12 Week Program aims to support your weight loss goals through weekly meal plans, easy to make nutritious recipes and exercise tips that are suited to your lifestyle, making your weight loss sustainable in the long run. Here are some tips to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
1. Make your weight loss goal realistic
A goal that encourages you to lose 1/2 -1 kg a week as opposed to losing 1 – 2 kg a week is more realistic and therefore achievable. This is because the body can only lose so much weight within a week. While the first week you may lose a bit more, for the weeks to follow and as you near your goal, you may notice your weight loss starts to taper off. But don’t let this affect your motivation!
2. Avoid weighing yourself daily
Not much happens in a day. It’s true! In fact, on some days you may weigh heavier so imagine the disappointment you may feel if you weighed yourself daily. To track your weight loss, aim to weigh yourself once a week at around the same time during the day. Join our weekly Wednesday weigh in on member Facebook page to keep yourself accountable!
3. Set your sights on other goals
Motivate yourself by setting goals around weight loss that don’t focus just on the number of kilos dropped. If you’re basing your entire weight loss journey on the scales, you’re likely to face disappointment at some stage as the pointer may not move every week. Consider some other reasons why you’re trying to lose weight such as improved fitness levels, reducing medications, experiencing increased energy levels, dropping clothing sizes, etc. Identify and set other reasons as your goals.
4. Aim for healthy food habits
Losing weight and keeping it off is dependent on dietary and lifestyle habit changes that can be embraced over the long run. If you learn nothing about your body’s needs during the weight loss journey and don’t develop healthier eating habits, then keeping the lost weight off long-term is going to be very difficult. Try these suggestions:
- Increase water intake and reduce high calorie beverages’ intake. Cut back on soft drinks, energy drinks, lattes, juices and milk shakes. While on the go, consider a protein shake and healthy protein bars that will help fill you up and keep you energised without ruining your weight loss diet plan.
- Don’t skip meals or fill up on one meal. Have a heavy breakfast and eat small meals at regular intervals.
- Improve your food choices, opting for high fibre carbohydrates such as pears, apples, kidney beans, brown lentils, seasonal vegetables, chia seeds, flax seeds, almonds and walnuts. Consult a dietitian and discuss your weight loss goals to understand if meal replacement protein shakes are right for you. Tony Ferguson Classic Shake Meal Replacements are a good source of fibre and protein.
- Prepare meals at home to include more plant-based foods and monitor the levels of salt and other unhealthy fats, which are usually added in excess quantities to takeaway meals.
5. Keep moving
Regular and increased activity levels may not be everyone’s favourite but moving helps burn calories, strengthens muscles and bones, and improves heart health amongst a long list of benefits. Keep moving one way or another. Try to find an activity that interests you or take up a new activity to stay interested in. This will also greatly improve your chances of keeping the weight off later. Start by trying to move more to increase your incidental exercise e.g. walk wherever possible, take the stairs instead of the lift, do more housework, etc. Remember to add in scheduled exercise several days of the week. Find a fitness buddy to stay motivated!
Be mindful of your body’s ability to achieve your weight loss goals when setting them. Try not to be too ambitious by expecting the weight to come off faster than your body can lose in a healthy way. Speak to a qualified health professional for advice on suitable dietary and lifestyle changes. The Tony Ferguson 12 Week Program is a holistic weight loss program that offers ongoing support from an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Personal Trainer. Tony Ferguson Classic Shake Meal Replacements are scientifically formulated to support long-term weight loss and weight management goals.