Healthy Hot Cross Buns
It’s that time of year again… One of the only days of the year where it’s socially acceptable to eat chocolate first thing in the morning!
BUT if this isn’t your style, or if you’re worried that Easter may throw off your weight loss progress, don’t stress because we’ve got you covered. Here is a healthier, protein-filled alternative to the usual Easter treats served up at this time.
We recommend you make a few batches to take along to your Easter lunches. These are crowd-pleasers, and you’ll have everyone coming back for more!
Tony Ferguson Hot Cross Buns
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 8 buns
- 275g spelt flour
- 3 tbsp Tony Ferguson RAPID Shake (vanilla flavour recommended)
- 2 tbsp vanillin sugar
- 7g sachet yeast
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped apricots
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
For the crosses:
- 40g spelt flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanillin sugar
- 4 tbsp boiled water
- 2 tsp cinnamon sugar
- 1 tsp vanillin sugar
- Combine flour, protein powder, yeast, salt and spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg with melted coconut oil and milk
- Add the egg mixture to the bowl with flour and slowly mix in
- Fold in the apricots and sultanas until it becomes a dough.
- Place in a well-oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rest in a warm place for 1 hour until it has risen.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and then cut into 8 equal balls.
- Place 8 buns on a lined baking tray and leave to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan) while you make the crosses.
- To make the white crosses, mix the milk, flour and sugar together to form a dough. Roll these into long thin rolls.
- Make up the sugared water and once the buns have risen for 20 minutes, brush a little over the top of each and place the sausages in a cross to form a hot cross bun pattern
- Place buns in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden. You can brush them over with sugared water again after taking them out of the oven.
Nutrition Per serving (1 hot cross bun):
- Calories: 260 / KJ: 1048
- Protein: 5g
- Fibre: 4.1g
- Carbohydrates: 34.5g
- Sugars: 9.3g
- Fats: 6.3g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
Purchase Tony Ferguson products here.